During one of the many times I attended the Gospel Music Festival in Nashville, I still remember Michael W. Smith on the stage of the famed Ryman Auditorium saying “the best investment you can ever make is in the lives of other people.”
That thought really stuck with me, as I asked myself what does that look like in my life. Certainly, my family first came to mind, and how much I desired more connection with my growing kids. I also sensed some guilt about not being very proactive in communicating with my brothers and sisters “as I should” being the oldest child, not to mention too few phone calls to my mom & dad. Still room to grow for me.
Beyond our families there are innumerable ways you and I can help improve the lives of others. Where do you start?
1) Where you come across a need
2) Where you can use your skills to teach others
3) Where you can offer words of encouragement
We love God by loving others through unselfish words and actions. There’s great deal of creativity you and I can use to better the lives of others.
What’s the return on your investment? That’s immeasurable! If we are lucky, we get to see some of the fruit of God working in the lives of others. Be blessed by blessing others!
PS: Here’s just a few opportunities I know of:
- How about delivering furniture to families moving into a home from less than desirable circumstances.
- How about being an information resource to families seeking some assistance.
- How about writing stories of people who have come off the streets and moved into an abundant, faith centered life.
- How about updating website and social media content for a nonprofit organization
- How about playing music and offering words of encouragement from the Bible within an adult family home.
- How about helping a child who needs a little help reading at school
- How about joining our local service projects this summer.