Be A Good Neighbor | SPIRIT 105.3 - Faith, Fun and Family

Be A Good Neighbor
The 100K Service Hours Initiative
34 4

We are so excited to join forces with you to spread more hope and encouragement to the community through acts of service. Our goal is to collectively reach 100K of service hours. Let's work together to make this happen. Here are some details & why we are doing this!

Why are you doing this?

We recently reached 100,000 friends on Facebook and this made us realize the tremendous impact we can ALL have on our community. We want to start a ripple effect in our community and transform lives for Christ. Will you help us?

What do I do to participate?

We know many of you may already be plugged in to your community and serving regularly. Will you please tell us about your experience and the transforming effect it has had on you, the community or your family? We'd love to feature you! Also, tell us how many hours you are serving. Our goal is to reach 100K of service hours performed, we'll be updating our hours tracker and would love to include the time you are currently giving or plan to give!

What if I don't know what to do to get started?

We want to help you find a place to plug in. This may be as simple as reaching out to your neighbors or friends who need some help. This could mean you spread a random act of kindness. We'll be updating our Website with area church events involved in service, other organizations who have activities as well as simple ideas you can do around your community. Have an idea? Let us know so we can spread the word!

How do I submit my hours to add to the tracker?

Comment below with your service hours and we'll update the tracker every week or so.

The community we have here is pretty powerful and we are looking forward to watching Christ use us as his hands and feet to transform our communities. Have questions? Let us know! And, keep checking back for updates!

1. Shana posted on 06/03/2016 12:14 PM
    This is so cool. For the first time last night my husband and I volunteered at Northwest Harvest in Kent. We repacked pallets of food for the Kids Summer Food Program. We were there for 2 hours and processed about 30,000 lbs of food with our group!
    1. Rebecca Beckett posted on 06/03/2016 01:57 PM
      @Shana Nice work Shana! What a great cause to help with.
  2. Sue Stanford posted on 06/08/2016 07:55 AM
    I work in kitchen and serve lunch @ Mi Si Senior Center 3 days/week 3 hrs/day. Also knit w/senior group for charity 2-5 hrs/wk and volunteer @ Fall City Community Food Bank 2 day/month-2hr ea day . I do this because I love working w/seniors and it keeps me young! Serving at the FCCFP lets me meet and help my neighbors in a personal way and keep our community healthy and able to feed their families.
    1. Rebecca Beckett posted on 07/15/2016 11:48 AM
      @Sue Stanford Thanks Sue!
  3. Sofia Kantola posted on 06/24/2016 02:12 PM
    At Maltby Pony Baseball League:
    6/16 volunteered in the concession stand-2 hrs
    6/17 volunteered as equipment director, scorekeeper, team mom, & concessions-7hrs
    6/19 volunteered as team mom, scorekeeper, equipment director, & concessions-10hrs
    6/21 volunteered in concessions-4hrs
    6/23 shop/stock for concessions, equipment director, & volunteer in concessions-6 hrs

We are hosting the Regionals this weekend so I will have more hours to post after Sun.

When did you start counting? I have many more hours from all the other organizations I volunteer for. I love to make a difference in my kid's lives in everything they do. Yes, I am tired!!! :)
    1. Rebecca Beckett posted on 07/15/2016 11:48 AM
      @Sofia Kantola Thanks Sofia!
    2. SPIRIT Promotions posted on 07/18/2016 02:50 PM
      @Sofia Kantola Hi Sofia!

Thank you for volunteering and doing so much in the community. We are collecting these hours for the year of 2016. If you have anything before the summer through the end of the year we would love to know about it! :)
  4. Bonnie posted on 07/07/2016 02:54 PM
    My girls and I volunteer each summer. We started with Northwest Harvest and now we are at World Vision in the Fife Warehouse which is much closer to our home. We help once or twice a week depending on our schedule. Serving others and the community teaches my daughters that it's not all about us and their own little world but it's about helping others.
    The three of us volunteer about 3-4 hours every week for 8 weeks this summer.
    1. Rebecca Beckett posted on 07/15/2016 11:48 AM
      @Bonnie Thanks Bonnie!
  5. RuthAnn Newbould posted on 07/13/2016 10:16 AM
    I'm on a three month vacation so I'm volunteering one day each week at The Salvation Army from 10am til 4pm. The past two weeks I have planted flowers and bushes to beautify the entry areas, especially alongside the ramp making the newly opened Greenwood Food Resource Center accessible to all.
    1. Rebecca Beckett posted on 07/15/2016 11:49 AM
      @RuthAnn Newbould Thanks RuthAnn!
  6. DeeB posted on 07/15/2016 02:31 PM
    My daughters and I love to serve locally, as well as globally~ on church missions. We began to realize many people WANT to serve locally AND globally but do not know how to get connected. So, In 2014 my 2 daughters and I decided to start a non-profit here in Tumwater, Washington to empower others to GIVE and GO to the nations. We partner with Christ centered organizations in Cambodia and take teams every 6 months or so to serve along side them or to provide respite. Locally we as a group (all ages, all churches) serve wherever needed, sometimes partnering with folks like Crazy Faith serving our street family, often doing spontaneous outreach downtown, serving at Youth centers, or even finding out about a family in need and gathering a group to go help. Recently I met a guy who was re-building his house that had burnt down three years ago, and we were able to help him paint and do random projects to ease his burden. It is so fun to partner with others in the body of Christ to serve our community! If folks are in our area and want to learn about ways to get involved they can visit our website or FB page...The Dare to Love Project
    1. SPIRIT Promotions posted on 07/18/2016 04:18 PM
      @DeeB Hi DeeB!

This sounds awesome and is much needed in our community. We would love to add this into our total count! About how many volunteers do you have each week and for how many hours per week?

God Bless you and your family!
  7. Laurell posted on 07/20/2016 01:28 PM
    I love giving back to my community and get really excited when others want to get involved as well. So far, I have logged 295 Volunteer hours with different Agencies, primarily in Emergency Preparedness teaching classes and at Safety Fairs or Booths. Most of my volunteering has been in Snohomish County, where I am based, but I have been all over Puget Sound with Snohomish County, The Soup Ladies, Medical Reserve Corps, several different CERT organizations, Northshore EMC and Moulage Mayhem. Many of the volunteer events include Ready Sunday, Map Your Neighborhood, CERT Classes, Emergency Drills as well as actual call outs to emergencies. I am hoping to add a few more Agencies to my list that I have volunteered with in the past - Special Olympics and Treehouse for Kids - as well as adding more in the Emergency Volunteer arena. All of the volunteer work I do is what I feel God has called me to do and I am so Thankful and Blessed to be able to give back to people.
    1. SPIRIT Promotions posted on 07/21/2016 01:46 PM
      @Laurell Hi Laurell!

Thank you for all that you do. You have reached so many different communities in your volunteer work. We are tracking hours throughout 2016 until we reach 100,000 hours. Keep us posted if you continue to do more work! You can reach our Promotions Team directly at Madeline@spirit1053.com

God Bless!
  8. MelanieZ_2 posted on 07/25/2016 01:08 PM
    Vacation Bible school time!!
    I will work 15 hours this week leading music for VBS. This is one of my favorite times of the year!!
  9. The Grove Church posted on 08/02/2016 04:57 PM
    Hello! I work at the Grove Church in Marysville and every year at this time we do a Community Outreach called iHeart. You can check it out on our website at grove.church, Facebook The Grove Church, or Instagram and Twitter at #iheartgrove to see some of the pictures!

Today was the first day of registration and work!
    13 sites throughout Snohomish County, 170 volunteers each working an average of 6 hours. So, for today, put us down for 1,020 hours! Yeah! Showing the love of Christ to our communities!
  10. The Grove Church posted on 08/04/2016 02:44 PM
    Hello! I work at the Grove Church in Marysville and every year at this time we do a Community Outreach called iHeart. This year we have 13 sites throughout Snohomish County. You can check it out on our website at grove.church, Facebook "The Grove Church", or Instagram and Twitter at #iheartgrove to see some of the pictures!
    It's all week, Tues-Sat so I will post our volunteer hours each day for your tally.

(I already let you know about Day #1 in a previous comment. 170 volunteers for a total of 1020 hours.)

Yesterday was Day #2
    183 volunteers each working an average of 6 hours. So, for today, put us down for 1,098 hours!

Today was Day #3!
    203 Volunteers today for a total of 1218 hours!
    Yeah! Showing the love of Christ to our communities!
    1. SPIRIT Promotions posted on 08/29/2016 08:41 AM
      @The Grove Church Thank you so much for submitting your hours! Keep up the good work @The Grove Church! We have added all of the following hours to our total in our goal to reach 100,000 hours of Community Service.
  11. The Grove Church posted on 08/08/2016 02:02 PM
    Hello!
    Grove Church checking in. Day #4 and #5 of iHeart!
    186 volunteers totaling 1116 hours on Friday and
    248 volunteers totaling 1488 hours on Saturday!
    What a week it was!
  12. The Grove Church posted on 08/08/2016 02:07 PM
    Hello,

The Grove Church in Marysville again, I forgot to included all of the Youth Hours served! During the week of iHeart we had average 70 Youth students volunteer to serve their time to reach the children in the community at our iHeart GO sites. Each day was 6 hours so that is a total of another 2100 hours! We can forget all the students did too! What a great week!
  13. CarolJ_6 posted on 08/09/2016 09:44 AM
    Since January I have volunteered about 308 hours; working with babies through seniors; averaging about 11 hours per week.
    1. SPIRIT Promotions posted on 08/29/2016 08:42 AM
      @CarolJ_6 Hi Carol!

We love this! Thank you so much for submitting your hours. We will add this to our total amount of hours in the goal to reach 100K.
  14. Mill Creek Foursquare Church posted on 08/11/2016 12:21 PM
    We have been partnering with Nourishing Network on Monday - Thursdays to provide healthy lunches as well as teaching the kids nutrition and exercise. By September 1st, we will have contributed over 105 hours to this ministry with approximately 100 volunteers.
  15. Sofia Kantola posted on 08/12/2016 10:47 PM
    The rest of my June hours: scorekeeper, concessions, baseball tournament representative, equipment manager = 11 more hours.

July hours: Equipment manager, VBS, PTSA, gleaning, Loop Events = 38 hours.

My children: VBS leaders & Loop Events = 52
    1. SPIRIT Promotions posted on 08/29/2016 08:58 AM
      @Sofia Kantola Hi Sofia!

Thanks for your help in the community. What a good way to show your kids how to give back too! We will add these to our total! :)
  16. Alli Humphreys posted on 08/17/2016 10:00 AM
    Hi All!

Yesterday, Rehberg Law Group, volunteered at Children's Therapy Center (http://www.ctckids.org/) for 7 hours. We helped create an outdoor patio/seating area at the front of their center in Burien. Our group of around 20 staff members laid pavers, spread gravel, painted their parking lot fence, set up a sprinkler system, and helped clean their "ball pit" play area! It was fun to work as a team and to get to help such a wonderful organization that provides a hugely necessary service for children and teens in the Puget Sound area.

Thank you to CTC for letting us lend a hand - and for lunch! And a huge shout out to my team at Rehberg Law Group for all the hard work you all put in yesterday!

Thank you Spirit 105.3 for encouraging community, kindness, service!
    1. SPIRIT Promotions posted on 08/29/2016 09:00 AM
      @Alli Humphreys Hi Alli!

Thank you for your service in the community. What a fun way to interact with your coworkers by volunteering together! We will get this added to our total hours.

~Madeline
  17. Alli Humphreys posted on 08/17/2016 10:00 AM
    Hi All!

Thank you Spirit 105.3 for encouraging community, kindness, service!
  18. Doug & April posted on 10/18/2016 04:56 PM
    We are still figuring our part in helping at Alderwood Community Church in Lynnwood for their Trunk & Treat on October 31. 6PM-8:30PM. We want to decorate our car trunk and be in the rows of cars with our bucket of candy. Then too, one of us can help with the awesome maize (that has a gospel verse in it), plus families are invited in to have snacks. It is an awesome, friendly neighborhood time! So many places to help with this fun time!
  19. JaimeD posted on 12/21/2016 12:01 AM
    I volunteer each week at Lighthouse Family Ministries NW. This is a non profit that helps women, men and children escape domestic abuse. Their program is amazing and is truly helping. I've helped 40 hours per month since September to present.
  20. JaimeD posted on 12/21/2016 12:04 AM
    The Mountain Church volunteered at Lighthouse Family Ministries last weekend for 3 hours doing yard work at their transitional home and washing the moms cars. They also served three hours last month decorating the inside of home and outside with Christmas lights and decor.
  21. Terri Treakle posted on 02/15/2017 02:41 PM
    In Puyallup we have a huge number of homeless friends. There is a program called Freezing Nights. Between November 1st and March 31st there are local churches that take in the homeless and feed them dinner, let them sleep at their church for the night, provide entertainment and then breakfast. Our church Joy of Life in downtown Puyallup has participated for 2 years now. I am the coordinator for our church. We do it once a month and take 40 guests in for the night. It is our pleasure to serve these wonderful souls. We love on them so much that they tell us our church is their favorite place to come. Since I am the volunteer I usually stay the night or come back early in the morning so I can wake them up gently and get them ready for breakfast and to leave. so I get there at 5PM on the Thursday that we have freezing nights and leave usually at 8 or 9 the next morning. I absolutely love this and will continue to be the coordinator as long as my pastors let me.,
  • Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.