Could your calling be in coding? Now is the time to find out. Code Fellows will be offering their Code 101: Intro to Software Development & Careers in Tech class on July 7th. With only 12 hours and $99 you will walk away with the taste of what it would be like to live a tech life. It’s a great opportunity to get your feet wet! Sign up today!
Thinking about a new career in software development? Start here! In this one-day workshop, you’ll get a taste of a day in the life of a software developer.
Get a sneak peek of the Code Fellows learning experience, find out how websites are built, and code a webpage yourself using industry-standard tools and professional coding practices.
At the end of this workshop, you will:
- Understand the basics of what it means to be a professional software developer.
- Understand how HTML and CSS work together to create the modern web.
- Create a complete website.
- Know how to deploy your website and be able to share your accomplishments with friends and family.
- Be able to identify whether a career in coding and the Code Fellows program is right for you.
Set up Visual Studio Code, Terminal, and Git. Follow the guide for your operating system below.
Having trouble following these guides? An hour before the start of the workshop will be dedicated to helping students get their computers set up with these tools.
- A text editor
The Modern Web
- How the pieces work together
- Building your website
- Integrating style sheets
- Modifying CSS styles
- Sharing code
- Git and version control
- Terminal and the command line
The Tech Industry
- A typical day for a software developer
- Common job titles
- The path to becoming a web or mobile developer
You are required to supply your own laptop that meets the below requirements. Chromebooks are not suitable for this course, since you can’t directly control installed software. You are responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of your computer throughout the course. The course pre-work will have specific instructions for configuring your computer to be ready for the first day of class.
- 64-bit Operating System, like macOS or Windows 10.
- Fully up to date, with the latest version of the operating system and all security updates installed.
- At least 50GB of free space on the hard drive.
- At least 8GB of RAM. 16GB RAM strongly preferred.
- Free of viruses, and in general working order.
By the first day of class, you will need:
Punctuality, participation in discussions, completion of assignments, and demonstration of professional courtesy to others are required, in accordance with our Code of Conduct. Attendance will be taken at the beginning of the workshop. Passing requires attendance to the full workshop.