Swim season is in full effect. SPIRIT 105.3 and GEICO want to make sure your loved ones stay safe during this time of year. Here are some tips to keep in mind while you’re in the water and sun this summer!
• Consider enrolling your children in swimming lessons to learn how to swim.
• If your children don’t know how to swim, or still learning, invest in a floatation device. Find a floatation vest with head support that buckles with a strap between the legs. Water wings are not effective protection against drowning.
• Never leave children unattended – not even for a few moments. Do not trust another child to watch another kid. Teach children to ask permission to go near water.
• If you own a pool, keep pool area locked when not in use.
• Swim in designated areas supervised by lifeguards – Even good swimmers can have an unexpected emergency. Never swim alone and unsupervised.
• Check the depth – Make sure the water is deep enough before jumping headfirst. Feet first entry is much safer than diving
• Babies under 6 months should be kept out of the sun. Dress your baby in lightweight clothes that cover arms and legs, and don’t forget a hat.
• Protect your Skin- wear sunscreen with a protection factor of at least 30 or higher to prevent sunburn and tanning, both are signs of skin damage.
• Apply sunscreen 15 – 30 mins before kids go outside. Make sure to get face, ears, hands, feet, shoulders, and behind the neck.
• Reapply often, about every 2 hours. Reapply sooner after child has been swimming or sweating.
• If your kids are doing a lot of swimming this summer, water-resistant sunscreens last up to 80 minutes in the water.
• Set a good example for your kids: Consistently putting on sunscreen 30+ SPF will limit your sun exposure and teach your kids about sun safety!
• Throw out sunscreen that is past its expiration or if you’ve had for 3 years or longer.
If you’re looking to take a dip while staying safe, check out these great public beaches with lifeguards. Seattle Parks offer FREE mid-day swimming lessons at all nine beaches and free evening lessons at select locations!
- Green Lake Park
- Madison Park
- Madrona Park
- Matthews Beach Park
- Mount Baker Park
- Pritchard Island Beach
- Seward Park
- Warren G. Magnuson Park