The buzz about the Seahawks is no secret around Seattle. And, let’s be honest, some of us know a lot about football and some of us don’t. But, we can probably all agree on the fact that there is something fun about a community of people gathering to eat, relax and hang out. So, if you need some help (like me!) and have been nodding, smiling and laughing along for years without much of a clue, here are 12 things you should know about the Seahawks.
1. What is the name of the actual hawk that flies out before the team at all home games?
Taima! Taima is the 9 year old hawk that flies out before each game. He is very sweet and takes pictures with fans at games!
2. What is the legion of boom?
Since 2011, the name Legion of Boom is a name that has been given to cornerback Richard Sherman as well as safeties Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas. Check out what they are most known for – Superbowl XLVII.
3. What is beastmode? What is a beast quake?
January 8, 2011 Seahawks fans literally shook the Earth during the NFL playoff game against the New Orleans Saints. Century Link Field erupted with excitement during the 4th quarter when Marshawn Lynch made an astonishing 67-yard touchdown run, broke half a dozen tackles, and put the Seahawks up 41-30 over the Saints.
4. Why the number 12?
The Northwest has the best fans in the NFL. In the 1980’s that Seahawks President Mike McCormack retired the number 12 jersey on December 15, 1984 forever. A tribute. As Peter Caroll has commented, ‘The 12s have an unparalleled impact on game day.’
5. The deal with skittles
Marshawn Lynch likes skittles. He munches them on the sidelines. It caught media attention in December 2012.
6. What player also played college baseball before becoming a Seahawk?
Russel Wilson played college baseball! (Maybe that’s why he has such a good arm!)
7. Where and when is this years super bowl (where the Seahawks will obviously play :))?
Super bowl 50 is on February 7th at Levi Stadium in Santa Clara, CA
8. How many games do our Seahawks play?
16 regular season games
9. What is our mascots name? What about his sidekick you see on TV sometimes?
Blitz is our main mascot, but occasionally you will see Boom, his sidekick.
10. Where do our Seahawks practice?
They have a practice facility on lake Washington in Renton. It’s called the VMAC (Virginia mason Athletic Center).
11. What’s the famous saying coach Carroll implemented with our Seahawks and now displayed on Seahawks posters everywhere?
12. What does it mean when people say Blue Friday?
Blue Friday is the Friday before a Seahawks game. Fans will often wear their seahawks gear to show support.
Okay, friends, mark your calendar for the next game day! Get your appetizers ready, friends gathered and warm up your vocal chords to yell GO HAWKS!