Let God Take the Lead

Do you know what’s really hard to do? Love someone who doesn’t want to be loved, at least at this moment in time. You may have a friend or family member that has put up a big wall and just doesn’t want to have anything to do with you. My sister and I are going through a challenging time and while talking with my folks about it, they shared a favorite Edwin Markham poem of theirs;

“He drew a circle that shut me out-
Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
But love and I had the wit to win:
We drew a circle and took him in!”

They encouraged me to draw a bigger circle, continue to love her and let God take the lead. Let God take the lead. The pressure is off! God’s got a boundless circle of love and you and I are inside it. Through Him along with His love for us, we have the power to muster up the strength to love those who need to be loved, even when we don’t necessarily feel the most loving.

1. Margaret posted on 07/16/2014 08:50 PM
    I love the idea of the circle. I will pass this on. Thank you for sharing.
    Praise the Lord.
  2. Liz posted on 07/16/2014 09:15 PM
    Thanks for the reminder that God is way bigger than our circumstances. I am dealing with a friend with Alzheimer's. She and her husband have been very resistant to help and visits, always saying it is a bad time or that my friend does not feel well. It was an encouragement to me to keep on loving them. Thanks again!
  3. Melissa Cates posted on 07/31/2014 11:18 PM
    Thank you for sharing it was very timely in my life.
  4. Telyn posted on 08/06/2014 11:45 AM
    I needed to read this! For some reason, unknown to me, my family has basically written me off, disowned me etc. This is increasingly difficult for me to face each and every single day as I love and miss them dearly. I reached a stage where I told myself that as long as they are happy with their lives and the decisions they've made, I need to be happy for them! The holidays are very difficult and knowing that I am not included in celebrations is devastating, so this poem is a life saver. Thank you and God Bless!
  5. Tanya posted on 08/07/2014 03:38 PM
    Thank you! I kicked my oldest son out 4 months ago. He is 25 and needs to be on his own. But he seems to hate me now and is living with his Dad. he won't talk to me except to related payment for his car insurance he pays me or if he really needs something like phone plan issues. I just want him to move forward in his life and be happy. He seemed happy to just work at McDonald's and not even try to find a better job or move up in his job at McDonald's.He had training to work as a mechanic at Boeing and got all A's yet he would not apply. He pays for his car payment and insurance and phone on time. He is very sweet,and kind, but did not help with housework much the past year or more. I miss him dearly and text him telling him how much i love him. I should just give him space, but I don't want to have too long a break and it may feel awkward for him to come back to me.
    1. MaryB12 posted on 09/17/2014 09:47 PM
      @Tanya We also kicked our 25 year old son out of our house a few years ago, but he also had a drug problem. We told him we loved him and that we believed in him...that when he was ready, we knew he had the strength to get his life together. He was then free to live as he chose, although it broke my husband's and my hearts. He eventually decided to get his life together and quit the drugs. This October, as he approaches his 28th birthday, he will celebrate 2 years clean and sober. He's in a recovery program, has good friends and a good job. I continue to pray that he will open his heart to the Lord, but I'm learning to accept that the way he lives his life is his choice, not mine. Letting go is so hard. But I'm now focusing on me, my life, and my spiritual growth and relationship with the Lord. That's the only thing I have some control over. I pray for my son every day, and I release him to the Lord. Hopefully my son will begin to hear God's voice now that I'm not intervening.
  6. VictoriaE posted on 08/13/2014 12:28 PM
    I really needed something like this to help me through. My only son for many years now has been in pain, emotionally and physically. He's chosen to shut us out because we're a constant reminder of his Dad and Sister that we lost suddenly in 2000. He says he doesn't want to feel that pain ever again. My heart hurts for him and it's a constant hole in my heart because he has made it very clear he is serious. His life is in isolation and depression. I'm just so thankful he's got his dog that seems to mean the world to him. I love him and my heart hurts more than words can say.
  • Verse of the Day - 09-19-2014

Philippians 2:1,2 “Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind.” Read More
  • What's Your Story?

“That’s it!” Debbie exclaimed as I told her the title of the song she had heard at just the right time the other morning. “I’m gonna go find those lyrics right now!” Read More