Confession Time

Confession time… I’m not much of a football fan. American football that is… For me, I am way more into the game that the rest of the world calls football (soccer). I follow my favorite teams and am excited about the upcoming World Cup.

One thing I’ve noticed being a part of a city that has a team headed to the big game (Go Hawks!), is Seattle has the best, most ravenous, crazy fans. Seahawks fans LOVE to go all out showing their support of the team. Honestly, it’s the enthusiasm of the fans that has gotten me caught up in Seahawks fever. It’s infectious! One glance at one of these fans, and there’s no doubt in anyone’s mind who they stand for, who they’re cheering for. They’re willing to paint body parts, wear wigs, and dress like crazy fools to cheer on their team… it’s their excitement that has drawn me in.

This got me thinking that our enthusiasm about Christ might just draw in that neighbor, co-worker, or friend… if we’re bold about it! When others look at you, talk to you, spend time with you… is it clear to them Who’s team you’re with?  As excited as we all are about the big game, in the end- it’s a game. Five years after it’s over, our lives will be pretty much unfazed by the outcome on Feb 2, 2014. Imagine that same energy and excitement, on display because of your friendship with Jesus- I’m guessing your friends and neighbors might just wonder what all the celebrating is about.

- Matt Stockman

1. diane posted on 01/22/2014 12:29 PM
    Thats exactly what. I've been telling people im very sad to see that our enthusiasm and energy is all about football and not for jesus even at church they hurry to get church over with then everyone livens up immediately and start talking football and not on christ it makes me sick what are we teaching our kids sports is more importan . Wow
    1. PatriciaP_4470 posted on 01/28/2014 01:29 AM
      @diane Please show me where in the bible it say's you cannot enjoy yourself. Are you in our houses? You're judging dear, and that's a bigger no-no ;)
    2. TammyM_0889 posted on 01/30/2014 08:58 PM
      @diane I feel the same. We need personal revival! Football Season will end but his Word is eternal!
  2. Bob posted on 01/22/2014 12:56 PM
    I don't know how sports got their names but I'm sure tired of "Soccer Snobs" sticking our noses "in the pile" while theirs is so high in the air and proudly telling us what the REAL football game is. So what are we suppose to call this game that is a US NATIONAL Sport? "Pointy-Ends-Ball?"
    1. Matt Stockman posted on 01/22/2014 02:52 PM
      @Bob Bob... I don't have any thing at all against american football! For what it's worth, I completely recognize the tremendous amount of athletic skill, stamina, and talent, and teamwork it takes to win a football game- the only point I was trying to make is, for me, if the Patriots are playing the Broncos on one channel, and FC Barcelona is playing Real Madrid on another channel, I''d probably choose the second. But you can bet, the next time the Seahawks are on, I'll be watching them!!
  3. Bette posted on 01/22/2014 07:17 PM
    All I cn say in AMEN Jesus should be much more exciting to us as christians if we want to show the world how exciting a life with Christ can be.
  4. Susan Bailey posted on 01/22/2014 09:20 PM
    Interesting comments. I have been wondering how Jesus feels about our excitement
    over football! I wonder if He is saying to Himself what is it going to take to get people to
    really respond to the call of God on their life?
  5. TammyM_0889 posted on 01/30/2014 08:54 PM
    Sweet Patricia , Diane isn't judging ;) she didn't even cut your ear with a sword-
    I'm so tired of people judging with the judging verse, it's getting old. We ALL know who the judge is.... Can we have opinions??
    It's ok to have fun it's ok to be passionate about the living Word!
    The Word is eternal, bring on the Word! You know the birthing process, We are in need of revival, personal revival! Wouldn't it be cool to be as excited for standing and cheering for our Savior, as loud for the seahawks! Our God is sooo patient- power restrained, thank u Jesus
    1. TammyM_0889 posted on 01/31/2014 08:13 AM
      @TammyM_0889 http://www.gospelherald.com/articles/50158/20140121/mark-driscoll-interviews-super-bowl-nfl-players-russell-wilson-russell-okung-chris-maragos-coach-rocky-seto-from-seattle-seahawks-jesus-is-better.htm

Seahawks Love the Lord and is a great way to share with our enthusiastic friends and neighbors! GOD works in Many ways... many many ways.
  6. LoisZ posted on 02/03/2014 11:58 AM
    I'm thankful that my church, Calvary Chapel South in Kent, is always more excited about teaching and learning The Word of God! Yes, we wear Seahawks colors to church, we get just as excited, but, our Pastor is clear that we are first to pursue a living active relationship with Jesus Christ as our number 1 priority in all our lives. Without Christ first in my life, life is without purpose! Oh how I adore Him!
  • The Pumpkin Parable

Every autumn I'm reminded of this parable when I see a pumpkin: "Being a human being is like being a pumpkin. God lifts you up, takes you in, and washes all the dirt off you. He opens you up, touches you deep inside and scoops out all the yucky stuff-- including the seeds of doubt, hate, greed, etc.Then He carves you a new smiling face and puts Read More