Halloween – why the dilemma?

For many followers of Jesus, there’s a bit of an internal struggle when Halloween rolls around each year. I speak from personal experience on this. Because of the imagery of evil spirits and the occult, many families like the one I grew up in abstained from any Halloween activity.

When this celebrated and marketed secular event crosses our path, and we have kids who would love to be dress up in a fun costume and collect candy from neighbors… what’s a bewildered parent to do?

Seemingly to the rescue, I have noticed churches and other groups providing alternatives to Halloween often called “harvest festivals.”  Foregoing all typical October 31st evil imagery, these events give kids a chance to dress up, play games, and have some fun in a more “positive” setting. When my kids were young I took them to a few of these “safe zones” and I think they had fun. I believe many churches see it as an outreach opportunity.

The last few years my wife and I have tried to be more active neighbors. Instead of hiding inside of our house on Halloween, weather permitting, we’ll likely be outside. Our plan is to have some hot water with packets of cider, cocoa, coffee & tea… and yes, even some full size candy bars for anyone who just happens to stop by.  We may have a game or two going as well.

For me, it’s not about Halloween… it’s really about meeting people where they are at, being neighborly,  and sharing a little love in a world that needs some light.

Whatever you decide to do as a family around Halloween is certainly up to you… I clearly have been on both ends of the spectrum.  As a Jesus follower I do think there are worthy things to take stand against in our culture. May God grant all who ask for the wisdom and strength to “do the next right thing.”

Hey, can’t wait for Thanksgiving to get here!

1. Alexander posted on 10/31/2013 12:40 AM
    " As a Jesus follower I do think there are worthy things to take stand against in our culture."
    Oh please, any real follower of Jesus would see how this holiday is disgusting to Him. If you really have relationships with someone, then you know what that person likes and dislikes. So, if you know that your wife doesn't like images of naked women will you ever go to party where all the people are dressed up in costumes of naked women? I think if you really love your wife, you will not. So if we really care about what Jesus likes, then we know (from the Bible) that God doesn't like magic and all those pagan customs. Then why we are going to those parties where people celebrate things Devil created?

People around celebrate "devil's christmas" and all the christians are just going so tolerant and never speak.
  2. Tim Malory posted on 10/31/2013 02:42 PM
    Larry, great article and I am sharing it on our blog this afternoon with your permission.

You can tell your listeners that tonight at New Hope International Church newhic.org, there is family night with games, food, and a cake walk for kids.

Phil Fischer, the recording artist will be doing the cake walk and it's tons of fun.
    1. Larry posted on 10/31/2013 02:54 PM
      @Tim Malory No problem, Tim... you are welcome to share as long as you reference Spirit. Wish the weather was better.... hope you have a successful event. ~ LL
  3. Debi posted on 10/31/2013 04:00 PM
    While I appreciate Larry bringing up this topic, I do not agree with him. I do agree more with Alexander. A good book for Christians to read would be "Halloween and Satanism" by Phil Phillips and Joan Hake Robie. It goes over the different aspects of Halloween, the origins, and why we as Christians should not be "celebrating" it. You can say it is just a fun time for the kids, but you have to look into what you are really celebrating (all things dark and dead) and if you really want to show your children that you condone such a "holiday".

The bottom line: are you a Christian? Our fruits are being watched.
    1. Billie posted on 11/01/2013 12:35 PM
      @Debi Just as Jesus went out amongst the sinners, and ate with them as well, we are to go out among them, not take part in their sin but be a witness, and if that means eating with them, or handing out candy with a track attached ,so be it! How can you witness to lost souls if you shut yourself up in your house away from them, as if you are higher and better than they are! We are called to be a witness, that's our job and it isn't always pretty and perfect! They ridiculed Jesus too for eating with publicans and sinners!
  4. Jen posted on 11/01/2013 04:26 PM
    @ Debi,

Yes, we are to be a witness to a world that is dying, and yes Jesus did eat with the sinners, but he did not party with them, nor did he accept their sin. Celebrating Halloween is not the same as witnessing to unbelievers or eating with sinners. I have unbelievers to my house all the time to be hospitable and show them the love of Jesus, but I'll not celebrate this holiday with my children so they can have fun and say it's all in the name of Jesus. Christians are to be in the world not of it. When the salt loses it's savor what good is it for? My husband and I are all about witnessing and not living in a Christian "bubble" but it's clear that we do need to stand apart from the world. Christians do not stand for anything anymore. We compromise in everything. Why does a world that is dying want to be a Christian when they see no difference between the way we live and the way the world lives? Yes, Jesus loved as should we, but he was around the sinners to minister to them not to partake in their sin and make them feel like what they were doing was okay. There's a difference. I just wish more Christians would stop trying to justify their actions by saying it's what Christ would've done. I'm talking about Christians who spew hatred in the name of Jesus, but I'm also talking about Christians that, well basically you can't even tell their Christians, aside from them saying so. I've met so many "Christians" that support abortion, gay marriage etc. Do we stand up for anything? Or do we just accept everything in the name of love? I'm not saying we have to be nasty, but we must be salt. I hardly think Jesus and the disciples would've been dressed up in costume celebrating to make other's feel "loved".
  5. Jen posted on 11/01/2013 04:28 PM
    Sorry, I had that wrong that was in response to Billie not Debie.
  6. Billie posted on 11/02/2013 05:48 PM
    Handing out candy along with a track is hardly partying with sinners, it's called witnessing even if we use a day such as Halloween to do it, I do not think God condemns anyone for witnessing on Halloween, just Christians who think they have to run and hide from the devil because oh no! It's Halloween! We need to instead get in his face and take over the day by replacing it with God filled messages and showing love to the lost and dying!
  • The Pumpkin Parable

Every autumn I'm reminded of this parable when I see a pumpkin: "Being a human being is like being a pumpkin. God lifts you up, takes you in, and washes all the dirt off you. He opens you up, touches you deep inside and scoops out all the yucky stuff-- including the seeds of doubt, hate, greed, etc.Then He carves you a new smiling face and puts Read More