My Hair Is Not Naturally This Color

Confession time: My hair is not naturally this color.

And lately, I’ve been scrunching up my face as I catch my reflection in the mirror. Its been about four months since I last saw a salon. The roots are the evidence and let me tell ya: it aint pretty.

Why the hair hiatus? My son was born.

My days are spent enjoying his first smiles and his big sisters first loose tooth…which means my hair is in a ponytail and gets washed every other day. And a trip to the salon? Forgetaboutit.

But the other day, my scrunchy face in the mirror turned into a smirk as God whispered to my heart:

The roots you see in your hair simply prove your priorities: you’re busy creating roots for your children.

Time to go all brown,
-Sarah

1. ColleenR_4 posted on 07/25/2012 09:11 AM
    AMEN! I love how He encourages us when we are on track just as much as I love when he corrects us when we are not. I think the words he spoke to you will accomplish both for all of us who read it. And who knows, you may end up liking the brown better, it could happen! If not, you can be a beautiful blonde mom later. Thank you for sharing that!
  2. AnnS_5 posted on 07/25/2012 09:43 AM
    God doesn't make mistakes, and when He created you, He created you with a beautiful smile, a beautiful heart, and beautiful brown hair! Let His creation shine through!
  3. RachelE_6 posted on 07/25/2012 10:24 AM
    So beautifully put. I went all brown 2 years ago when our 2nd child was born, and now with 3 kids...well this is just me. I love not having to worry about the upkeep. :-)
  4. BeatrizM posted on 07/25/2012 11:23 AM
    I love it! I agree with all of the other comments!
  5. TeresaA_4956 posted on 07/25/2012 11:30 AM
    my hair is the same. i tried to do a different look only because i was tired of everyone telling me i look just like my mom. whome i do not get a long with or talk too. but i colored my hair and i didn't like what i looked like or even like fighting with the split ends so i just let my hair grow out and now i am back to my normal color and i am thankful for that because i see me and not what people want me to look like. i was trying to be someone i was not. now that i am 24 and have 3 children of my own i think that being me is what god wanted and not to look and see my mom. the way people told me. yeah i hear you look like your mom and i just tell them no i look the way god wanted me to look in his image not like my mom but what god wanted.
  6. SummerO posted on 07/26/2012 12:08 AM
    Oh Sarah! I love seeing your updates and all the mama-crazy you share on the air! You put me in stitches as I see my own life, and words like mine. I also have a child (a son) going into K in Sept; and I have a second child as well though my "baby" is turning 3 on Sunday.
    I'm having the same issues with my hair and life and kids. Thanks you for share what God said to you! So true.
  7. AnnmarieO posted on 07/26/2012 04:06 PM
    Roots! My heart says twenty something but my roots scream fifty!
    I decided to color my hair after a cashier asked me if I wanted the Senior Citizen Discount. I didn't know whether to take the discount or be insulted. I'm sure that cashier must get equally frustrated when asked if she'd like to see the Kids Menu.

When your roots start to turn gray.. . Tell yourself it's the color of wisdom showing. ( then let Miss Clairol keep it your secret).

Have a great day Sarah!
  8. JanetF_2 posted on 07/27/2012 09:39 AM
    How wonderful on the addition of your son to your family. You and your husband have been trully blessed by our Lord to have such sweet children.
  9. philisah posted on 07/30/2012 05:23 PM
    I totally and completely relate! I have a baby as well and can't make it to the salon just yet, thank you for sharing this!
  10. SandraP_9899 posted on 09/05/2012 11:17 AM
    I'm laughing too, only I am 42 with 6 amazing kids and roots to show my age. I hate them. I was a red head for over 12 years and switched back to my natural brown but I still color the roots. I color them cause I am able to get out and do it but it makes me feel young at heart, and I am ONLY 42! :-D. But what God shared with you I took to heart also!!!
  11. jordanriley posted on 09/06/2012 09:48 AM
    As someone who has dyed his hair for a number of years i can so agree. But i do have to say being blonde, even if it comes from a salon or a box from the store is still a good look :)
  12. DanaW_4 posted on 09/08/2012 05:09 AM
    My wife quit dying her hair several years ago. If youv'e dyed it for a long time you have no idea what your real hair looks like. Well what a surprise. Her hair is a beautiful shimmery silver and she gets told at least 3 times per week from strangers how beautiful her hair is. That just didn't happen when she colored it.So ladies don't be afraid to let your grey pride show.
  • Verse of the Day - 12-21-2014

Numbers 23:19 “God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent; Has He said, and will He not do it? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?" Read More
  • Opa! Time To Find That Passport!

SPIRIT 105.3 is heading to the Greek islands to retrace the footsteps of the Apostle Paul. Your bible will come to life as we explore the ancient land where Paul made missionary journeys. I have never been to Greece so I’m very excited to share this amazing journey with you. I’m brushing up on the Greek language as we speak. ;-) Read More